Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Taking "Being Photogenic" in the Right Light

Some people seem to always look perfect, be it celebrities and models or that girl you pass in the hallways that looks beautiful even in sweats. Then when people take a picture with you in it, sometimes it looks great, and sometimes, it just... doesn't. And a picture of you that you think looks awful can be disheartening.

If you, like me, have taken a least a couple selfies or pictures of people in your life, you have probably noticed this already, but the first time I noticed I thought it was really neat, and I think there are two things we can take from it.

Pictures look a heck of a lot better just with the right lighting. Pictures indoors just look worse than pictures outdoors or by windows with more natural lighting.

I think that's cool. It's a reminder to not take yourself too seriously. If you can't believe that picture of you could possibly look that awful, chances were it was honestly the lighting or the timing. Pictures can catch the in-between looks on your face that we wouldn't notice in normal life, so with both lighting and timing, some pictures of you in this life are just gonna look bad.

This is a reminder to me to also give yourself a break if you think your life looks kinda dismal and unexciting. Because if you took that mediocre-looking life and changed the lighting a little bit, I think you'd find it strikingly beautiful exactly as it was already. You could even play on the fact that "natural" lighting makes such a difference in pictures and wonder if this better perspective of your life is the more "natural" view of a more divine perspective anyway. (:

So don't fret too much about it. No one is perfectly photogenic, and some people take more pictures and are more picky about which ones go places. Maybe your nose does look big from that angle, but people probably don't notice in normal life and it doesn't change who you are. It's okay if you look bad. Sometimes you're gonna look dang good too.


This picture was taken on a normal day of school, after 2 hours of a chemistry lab where I was in goggles and a ponytail. I was going to add a comparison picture, but nah ;)


1 comment:

  1. Amen sista. Pictures are just that--a snapshot of a split moment in time. Sometimes they capture true reality, and sometimes they don't. Because true reality isn't frozen in time when we're all disheveled or awkwardly transitioning. Life is far more fluid than still shot pictures often deceive us with. I'm one of those people with big noses, but who cares, right? I love your connection of "natural lighting" making our mundane days seem brighter and happier.

    ReplyDelete

When They Don't Believe

There was a time when nearly everyone was religious - and we're not living in that time. In the modern day, more and more people are exp...