Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Boring Days


I am currently taking summer classes, after taking Fall, Winter, and Spring classes, and before taking more Fall and Winter classes. You'd think it was a lot and awful, but I don't mind. I enjoy being in school and I'm glad that I can be investing my time in my future in a way that works well for my family.

My actual dilemma with summer classes is not what I thought it would be. I was worried I would be burned out, so I signed up for classes that I need to take but that aren't a huge workload. And... I'm bored.


There are a lot of times in life that we feel like we've sunk into the mundane and this is one of my times. My classes aren't captivating, and I have a good job but it's not stretching my intellect or my character very much either. I have found that sometimes "being an adult" and "being in the real/working world" takes a lot of patience, and I understand that. But boring days can still be hard. I've been reflecting on why that is, and what to do about them. This is what I've come up with:

Boring days are hard because you don't feel like we are working towards a greater purpose or becoming better people (even if, like me with my current classes, they are things you need to do to get to future goals). This also means you don't always feel like you have a lot to look forward to each day, and that can be sad.

The best thing to do about it, I have found, is to find adventure. Have at least something bigger you're looking forward to (even if it's just finishing something you are doing now you don't enjoy). And find little adventures in your hobbies and talents. Give yourself something to look forward to and that helps you to work towards a greater purpose and become a better person. Have a goal or a project. This can be anything from organizing a home to reading a book to taking pictures to traveling. Recently I've found each of those specific things to be helpful to me, along with others.

We all fight a boring day now and then. What do you do about it? Do you look for big change or little change? What hobbies or goals help bring purpose or excitement for you? I'd love any ideas.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, This is my life right now. I feel the same about my current job. It's way too easy and doesn't stretch me or challenging. The thing that bothers me is that I feel like I am being idle at work because the work is not hard. I am used to being industrious, digging in and getting my hands dirty. You know... farm girl style. I try to look at the upside of this. Having more time on my hands means that I can think of ways to grow my talents. I am currently looking into what it would take to volunteer with organizations that help immigrant and refugees and use my photography talents to create beautiful family portraits. My favorite family history photographs are those taken right after families have arrived in the US, so why not pay it forward? This kind of stuff gets me excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're experiencing a taste of so many things in your future, hehe. Having something to work towards or look forward to is a great remedy. Enjoy it while you can. I haven't been bored for years, and wish I had a little more "down time" to enjoy my talents and interests. It does create a little more of a challenge in your situation, where you have so much time away from your home--that's one way you're being "stretched" to find ways to curb the boredom when you can't always just be at home sweet home.

    ReplyDelete

When They Don't Believe

There was a time when nearly everyone was religious - and we're not living in that time. In the modern day, more and more people are exp...